Aside from the fact that I have been a dedicated vegetarian, sushi was never my game, or at least anything aside from “avocado/vegetable rolls”. But, when I discovered that sushi rice, contains GLUTEN, I flew into a rage! I mean, really?! One more thing to knock off the list of foods I could safely eat, without wrecking my gut! Turns out, most “sticky sushi rice” contains gluten-containing vinegar (which gives it this sticky consistency). I guess good things really do come at a high price to pay… Needless to say, I set out on a gluten-free way to make sushi with the same taste, sticky consistency, with all the goods….
Yes, while I may be stuck in my “sushi-ways”, typically sticking to the same type of rolls over and over again, these DO NOT DISAPPOINT, 100% guarantee. While I’m all for avoiding grains when I can, these are the perfect splurge!
No I’m not mad, I just really love these, and I’m kinda really proud ~ This recipe is all fun, no bullshit ~
You’ll want to start off by shredding your carrots, slicing your avocados, cucumbers and tofu (only if soy is a protein you eat), and getting out your cooked rice (white or brown, sushi or jasmine rice, both work). You can add any preferred ingredients you’d like as well, there aren’t any strict rules here ~ For my special secret “sushi sticky rice substance”, it’s quite simple ~ APPLE CIDER VINEGAR! Just mix in as much as you’d like to the rice, according to your flavor preferences. This is not only a SUPER HEALTHY alternative, but it’s tasty, provides that coveted sticky texture, and in my opinion, is quite similar to the sushi I would wait an hour for at those famous city-sushi diners…
Get out a sheet of simple nori, with the shiny side facing up.
Begin by laying the now “sticked rice” across the bottom portion of the nori sheet, and make sure you cover the sides pretty good (tip : don’t stack, where you end up with a “rice wall”, as this makes it all the more difficult to roll). Proceed to adding those killer extras (avocado, tofu, carrots, ginger etc…)
This may seem like the difficult part, but “breathe”, you got this! Simply begin by taking the edges of the nori sheet (at the bottom), and rolling once, pressing down firmly, until it sticks, without “bouncing back”. Make sure it sticks before the next step friends!
The next part is similar to what we just did, except you’ll be using less rice, and packing both the rice, and a few ingredients to where they meet the “wall” of the roll you just rolled up! Repeat this step until you reach the end of your nori sheet. Make sure you press down firmly each time you roll!
Hard part is fini! Get out a sharp knife, but not the hardcore type that may “shred” the nori viciously! Slice the now giant mega roll in half, and there you have it. You can also dip in apple cider vinegar, or a preferred sushi sauce or dressing (I’m a “Bragg’s Sesame Ginger-Miso Dressing” addict)
Vegan Summer Hand-Rolls
- 1 Cucumber
- 3 Carrots
- 1 Block Tofu (sprouted/organic)
- 3 Cups Cooked Sushi or Jasmine Rice (Brown or White)
- 10 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 Sheets Nori
- 1. Begin by slicing up your desired ingredients, or you can use mine
- 2. Get out your cooked rice, and add the apple-cider-vinegar, until flavor-meter is as preferred
- 3. Begin by placing the sticky rice along the sides of the bottom of a nori sheet (make sure the rice covers the sides and corners well). And add some extra ingredients (the vegetables)
- 4. Take the corners of the bottom, and simply roll once, pressing down firmly, and “cupping” the roll to create a “roll” formation
- 5. Continue this step, adding smaller amounts of rice and ingredients along the side wall of each roll, and press down firmly each time you roll, until you’ve reached the end of your nori sheet
- 6. Slice the roll in half, and enjoy! Dipping the rolls in a sauce or dressing if desired!
Friends, I hope this killer recipe adds some “sushi joy” into your life! Enjoy!